Second suspect arrested in August shooting

Second suspect arrested in August shooting

From the Las Vegas Optic

A man sought by police for a drive-by shooting near Grand Avenue and University Avenue last month has been arrested.

Police apprehended Devin F. Morales, 21, last week and booked him into the San Miguel County Detention Center on charges related to an Aug. 9 shooting that sent a man to the hospital.

The arrest follows a lengthy investigation by the Las Vegas Police Department that began when a man checked into Alta Vista Regional Hospital with a gunshot wound near his armpit.

The man told police he and a friend were at the Allsup’s at South Grand Avenue and Alamo Street when his friend got into a fight with Morales, according to an arrest affidavit filed in San Miguel Magistrate Court.

Police say they determined Morales was with another man during the altercation, Agua L. Ramirez, 18, of Las Vegas. Ramirez was arrested Aug. 14.

Following the fight at the Allsup’s, the man and his friend got into an SUV and fled the area. He told police that Ramirez and Morales began following them in a maroon Chrysler 300.

The men told police they were stopped at a red light on eastbound University Avenue when they saw the Chrysler 300 pull in front of them. As it passed, someone fired shots, according to the affidavit.

LVPD investigators located the Chrysler 300 on Aug. 10. During a search of the vehicle, police found a holster for a handgun along with a shoe print on the passenger side floor.

The shoe was a size 10 1/2 Nike with the word “Jordan” printed on it, according to the affidavit. When police arrested Ramirez, he was wearing a size 10 1/2 Nike Jordan shoe.

Ramirez told police that he and Morales were at the intersection of Tilden Street and Grand when they saw the SUV the other men were traveling in, and that he thought someone in the SUV had fired a shot at them.

Ramirez admitted that he and Morales decided to “chase them down,” according to the affidavit, and said that Morales fired three rounds toward the SUV as they passed it.

During an Aug. 16 hearing, Judge Melanie Rivera set bond for Ramirez at $10,000 unsecured, and released him on house arrest.

An arrest warrant was issued for Morales Aug. 16. Police apprehended Morales Sept. 14.

During a Sept. 3 hearing, Judge Rivera set bond for Morales at $10,000. He remained in custody as of this writing.

Morales was previously convicted of possession of a controlled substance in 2018, and in September 2019, he pleaded guilty to felony receiving stolen property in a plea agreement. The charge stemmed from an April 2019 incident when police located a stolen .45-caliber handgun on him during a search. Under the terms of the plea agreement, he was placed on supervised probation for 18 months.

Morales is scheduled to appear in Magistrate Court on Sept. 30 for a preliminary hearing.

Ramirez is scheduled to appear on Oct. 12 for a preliminary hearing.

Both men are charged with five felonies: shooting at or from a motor vehicle resulting in injury, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, tampering with evidence and two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.