Police: Man rammed cruiser, led officers on high-speed chase

Police: Man rammed cruiser, led officers on high-speed chase

From the Las Vegas Optic

A call about a suspicious vehicle led to a police car getting rammed and a high-speed chase on Interstate 25 earlier this month, according to court records.

Police used a PIT maneuver to stop the vehicle on the interstate and arrested 35-year-old Hinoh Garris, charging him with aggravated assault on a peace officer, aggravated fleeing a law enforcement officer and several traffic violations.

New Mexico State Police were contacted by multiple people around 2 p.m. on Nov. 2 who reported seeing a car with Colorado license plates driving up and down County Road B26A near Bernal.

An officer located the car that was driven by Garris and initiated a traffic stop, but according to police, Garris refused to pull over, instead continuing at a “slow rate,” according to an amended criminal complaint filed in San Miguel Magistrate Court.

Garris eventually came to a stop and the officer exited his police vehicle, but according to the complaint, Garris would not follow the officer’s commands to exit the car he was driving.

When Garris did exit the car, he “grabbed his waistband as if he had a weapon,” the officer wrote in the complaint.

Garris then drove away again, refusing to pull over for the officer. After multiple attempts to turn around, Garris eventually stopped in a driveway. The officer stopped and exited his vehicle, but Garris drove toward the officer and collided with the police car.

The officer got back into the police car, following Garris as he fled at “a high rate of speed,” according to the complaint. The officer attempted two PIT maneuvers to disable Garris’ vehicle, but neither were successful. Garris nearly crashed once, and forced a pickup truck off the road, according to the affidavit.

Garris turned around and a third unsuccessful PIT was attempted by the officer. Garris then merged onto northbound I-25 where a second NMSP officer joined the pursuit.

The second officer attempted a PIT on I-25, which was successful in stopping Garris.

After being arrested, Garris told officers he didn’t stop because he was scared and didn’t want his vehicle taken away because he was experiencing homelessness. Garris told the officer that he was nervous because, “Cops randomly come after poor people,” the complaint stated.

Garris did not have a valid driver’s licence, insurance or vehicle registration, according to police.

Garris was arrested and booked into the San Miguel County Detention Center on Nov. 2.

During a Nov. 3 hearing, Judge Christian Montaño set bond for Garris at $10,000. At a Nov. 4 review hearing, Judge Melanie Rivera reduced bond to an unsecured $10,000, and Garris was released from SMCDC. He has no prior criminal history, according to conditions of release documents filed in Magistrate Court.

Garris is scheduled to appear in Magistrate Court Dec. 9 for a preliminary hearing.